Founder of Lisaard House
March 1, 1937- April 27, 2019
In 1996, Sheila was approached by Dr. Charmaine Jones to discuss the philosophy of hospice. With the encouragement of Mrs. Margaret Anderson, (Anderson House) and the support of a group of dedicated nurses and community members, Sheila began the process of funding and building the first free-standing residential hospice in the Waterloo Region.
On August 1, 1978, the organisation was given Charitable status, and on July 15, 2000 Lisaard House welcomed its first resident and Sheila’s dream became a reality.
In Sheila’s own words, “without the dedicated team of professional staff, and an equally dedicated group of volunteers, with their gifts of time and skills, Lisaard House would be an empty shell.”